F1 Acquire MotoGP in $4.2 Billion Deal

F1 Acquire MotoGP in $4.2 Billion Deal



April 2nd, 2024

The landscape of motorsports shifted dramatically on April 1st, 2024, as Liberty Media, the owner of the F1 World Championship, officially acquire Dorna Sports S.L., the rights holder of MotoGP. This monumental deal, valued at a staggering $4.2 billion euros, brings together two of motorsport's most prestigious properties under one roof.

As they are finalizing teh acquirwe of MotoGP marks a significant expansion for Liberty Media, adding premier motorcycle racing alongside their existing portfolio of F1. This move grants them control over not only MotoGP, but also its feeder series Moto2 and Moto3, solidifying their presence in the motorcycle racing world. Additionally, the deal encompasses the World Superbike Championship (WSBK) and the burgeoning MotoE World Cup, the electric motorcycle racing series.

Fans can rest assured that the leadership and structure of MotoGP will remain largely unchanged. Carmelo Ezpeleta, the long-standing CEO of Dorna Sports since 1994, will retain his position, ensuring continuity and stability. The Dorna headquarters will also remain in Madrid, Spain.

While Liberty Media acquires a dominant 86% stake in Dorna Sports, the remaining 14% will stay with the existing management team led by Ezpeleta. This collaborative approach signifies Liberty Media's respect for Dorna's established success and expertise.

The official completion of the acquisition is expected by the end of 2024, subject to regulatory approvals.

Reactions to the F1 Takeover of MotoGP

The news of the acquisition was met with positive responses from both Liberty Media and Dorna Sports.

Greg Maffei-GettyImages

Greg Maffei, President and CEO of Liberty Media, expressed his enthusiasm: "We are thrilled to expand our portfolio with the acquisition of MotoGP. It's a global league with a passionate fanbase, thrilling racing, and a strong financial profile. We look forward to working with Carmelo and his team to further expand MotoGP's global reach."

Carmelo Ezpeleta echoed Maffei's sentiment, stating, "This is a perfect next step for MotoGP. We're excited for what this brings to Dorna, the racing community, and fans worldwide."

The Future of Motorsports

The F1® acquisition of MotoGP signifies a new era in motorsports. The combined resources and expertise of Liberty Media and Dorna Sports have the potential to propel both series to even greater heights. Fans can anticipate an enhanced racing experience with potential crossover events, broader global exposure, and continued innovation across both two and four-wheeled racing disciplines.

Stay up-to-date with the latest news by reading our blog.

Stay connected with us on our social networks for the latest updates Facebook, and X

Image credit of MOTOGP

tag: Greg Maffei

Klind Parangoni Author

You May Also Like